Andrew is highly skilled in building international pipelines, with a history of doubling enrollments and significantly growing revenues. He is also accomplished in process re-engineering to streamline operations in the best interests of student service.
A liberal arts-grounded, bass playing, globally mobile, post-secondary professional. Not the typical tick boxes on the consultant qualifications grid, I recognize. Explanations are warranted!
Post-secondary professional. Over the past three decades, I’ve successfully played many roles on campuses around the world. I’ve been principally based in Canada but have had incredible opportunities to work on and with campuses in the Middle East, Asia, Europe, and all corners of the globe. This exposure has built in me a deep understanding of multiple post-secondary systems and cultures, and the people that inhabit them.
Globally mobile. I receive tremendous joy and fulfillment from not only bringing students from around the world together in a classroom, but also serving in my consulting role as a cultural translator of sorts – adapting processes and practices from one jurisdiction to ‘fit’ in another. That skill is applicable across the entire higher education sector, whether it’s adapting from one country to another, one college to another, one state or province to another, or one person to another.
Bass player. The best bass players lead from below, provide drive, rhythm and feel by bringing people together in the ensemble, and subtly influence direction without large gestures or sweeping changes. Those characteristics apply to my approach to leadership and change in every organization with which I’ve worked. Lead from below, empower and inspire those around you, provide nudges to point out the right direction, and the goals are accomplished.
Finally, my liberal arts sensibilities. They imbue in me a deep love for our sector and for the importance of our work. To collaborate with and support like-minded thinkers, gifted educators, and inspiring leaders is a blessing. Every day I reflect on the responsibility I hold of lifting those people up, whether they’re around the corner or around the world.
I look forward to meeting you, dear reader, and to our shared work together.
4-920 Edinburgh Road South
Guelph, ON N1G 5C5
+1 226 979 8494
A skilful post-secondary leader with over thirty years of success in the PSE sector,
committed to the strategic growth of institutions through exceptional leadership
in international education, marketing, and enrolment management,
around the corner and around the globe.
Dutcher LLC, Stowe, VT
March 2020 to the present; Consultant
Providing professional and strategic expertise to the global post-secondary sector
Humber College, Toronto, ON
September 2016 to the present; Dean, Humber International
- Led the international division of the country’s largest polytechnic college, including responsibility for international marketing, admissions, enrolment, orientation, student services, academic mobility, academic partnerships and international development
- Led the development and implementation of a comprehensive internationalization strategy
- Grew enrolment from 3,800 international students to over 6,500 in three years
Sheridan College, Oakville, ON
February to August 2016; Acting Vice-President, Student Affairs & Enrolment Management
- Led the student division of the college during the Vice-President’s academic sabbatical
- Responsible for a division of over 330 staff members, including the Registrar’s office, Student Affairs, Ancillary Services and International Services
- Developed a framework to greatly enhance the provision of services and strategic direction for the college’s Indigenous students
February 2012 to February 2016; Director of International Services
- Led all aspects of the college’s internationalization efforts, including marketing, recruitment, admissions, student success programming and overall internationalization
- Doubled international enrolment in four years, growing gross tuition revenues from international students to over $75M in the 2015-16 fiscal year
- Developed and implemented an institution-specific code of ethics for international activities
- Analyzed data reports for international enrolment and led the team through a change process to improve the college’s ability to predict and manage international enrolments
- Established and led an international academic advisory board to better connect administrative and academic goals of internationalization
- Led the development of technological innovation that saved the department hundreds of person-hours of manual labour that was redirected to better support international student success
Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, March 2008 to February 2012; Associate University Registrar (Records & Services)
- Managed principal registrarial functions for a highly selective, four-year public university with 13,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students
- Re-engineered processes, adapted policies & procedures, and negotiated changes to academic administration based on the implementation of “best practice” records management using a new information system, resulting in major service and functional improvements for students, families & administrators
- Provided academic units (Faculties, Schools) with critical support for the PeopleSoft Student system through numerous “first-time” launches including academic review, electronic submission of grades, block registration and timetable administration
Higher Colleges of Technology, Fujairah, UAE; August 2005 to March 2008; Supervisor of Academic Services
- Managed registrarial and admissions services for two campuses of the federal two-year college of the United Arab Emirates
- Adapted enrolment management principles (yield management, quantitative analysis) for use at the local college
- Represented the college system on a nation-wide oversight body that designed and implemented standardized English testing for all secondary school leavers in the country
Noel-Levitz Canada, Guelph, ON; June 1999 to July 2005; Senior Consultant & Director of Canadian Operations
- Wrote the business plan to establish the Canadian division of North America’s largest enrolment management consulting company, then acted as sole corporate representative in Canada
- Adapted and instituted ‘best practice’ American enrolment management practices for use in Canadian higher education
- Provided enrolment management consulting services to over fifty institutions in nine Canadian provinces and five US states, fundamentally changing their operations in support of best-practice enrolment management techniques
Master degree in Business Administration (MBA), Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON; June, 1998
- Marketing Major. Studies included International Exchange at the:
Wissenshaftliche Hochschule für Unternehmensführung, Vallendar, Germany; September to December 1997
- Winner, 1997 and 1998 Molson Marketing Case competitions
Honours Bachelor degree of Music, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON; 1982-86
- Principal instrument: double bass
- Co-operative education experience as a Student Recruitment Officer for the university